Frequently Asked Questions
Why is a vehicle inspection necessary?

We inspect most cars before providing insurance cover to make sure that the car exists and to record all current damage. If the vehicle has any accessories fitted, these will be noted on the inspection certificate, which in turn speeds up the claim finalisation process. This inspection is conducted free of charge to you. We do not inspect cars which are insured for Third Party only, except when a vehicle is insured for third party only and the client has selected sound equipment cover to the value of R5 000 or more.

Where do I take my vehicle for inspection?

To have your vehicle inspected you can download our app to do your very own self inspection.

Where do I send my inspection certificate?

The app will automatically upload your details. Should you have a manual inspection done, you can email your inspection certificate to [email protected].

When my vehicle is damaged in an accident, can I have it repaired at the panel beater of my choice?

Our policy stipulates that we will repair your vehicle using a supplier on our panel. Our motor body repairers guarantee their workmanship and issue a lifetime guarantee on the repairs. This allows us to constantly monitor the quality of the repairs carried out by the repairers that we work with. However, should you insist that you want your vehicle repaired by a panel beater of your choice; we will give you a cash settlement in lieu of the amount that it would have cost us to repair your vehicle. In such an event, we can obviously not guarantee the repairs of the vehicle.

Why do I need to install a tracking device in my vehicle?

We strongly recommend that you install a tracking device in your vehicle because it increases the chances of recovering your vehicle if it is stolen. Because these chances are increased, your risk decreases, and this means that when you claim for a stolen vehicle your theft excess will be much lower.

Why are my children disallowed drivers on the vehicle on the policy?

There are many factors that could affect whether or not your children are disallowed drivers on your policy. These factors consist of age, vehicle type and the risk profile of your children.

Do you insure Kruger Rands?

We do not cover coins, so if the Kruger Rand is simply in its coin form it will not be covered. However, if it had been set into a piece of jewellery (pendant, bracelet etc.), it may be insured as a jewellery item.

What is the difference between the retail, trade and market value of my car?
  • Trade value: The value a dealer would give you for your car if you trade it in (depending on condition). The trade value option is not available if the vehicle is financed.
  • Retail value: The value that a consumer would pay a dealership for the car after the dealer had added their mark-up and is, therefore, the closest value to a vehicles replacement value.
  • Market value: This value is an average of the Trade value and the Retail value.
  • Private use: You use your vehicle for social, domestic or pleasure purposes including travel to & from work, excluding using the vehicle for business & professional purposes.
  • Business use: You use your vehicle for business, such as a sales rep.
  • Occasional Business: You use your vehicle for social, domestic or pleasure purposes, driving to & from work & for some professional or business calls, which are 10 or less times per month.
  • Car Pooling: Where you share driving & vehicles with other people more than 60% of the time.
  • Commuting: Where you drive to & from work or the train station more than 12 days out of a month.
Will I be able to view my policy details online without having registered?

Provided you have a policy with us, you can use you ID or Passport number on the login page.

Will I be able to register once and have access to all the policies I hold with 1st for Women using one email address?

Yes, you will be able to see all your policies on one profile.

I am having difficulty logging into the website because I forgot my password?

You no longer need your password, enter your ID or Passport number on the login page and we will send you an OTP in order to login.

The system is not recognising my cell number, email address or my ID number, so I can't log in?

If you have a new email address or cell phone number, simply call us on 0861 00 30 01 and we will update it on our system. Then you should be able to continue as per usual.

What is a Cashback and when does it pay out?

This optional extra rewards you by giving you money back if you remain claim-free for four consecutive years. We’ll pay you out your entire first year’s premiums, or up to 25% of all your premiums paid over those four years – whichever is the lesser.

Can I take a loan against my Cash Back Bonus?

Unfortunately the submission of a claim is unpredictable so the Cash Back Bonus has no loan value.

Can I insure two separate addresses on one policy?

No. You would have to insure the addresses on separate policies. This is because different addresses present different risks and you would pay different premiums for each of the addresses.

What do I need to do to cancel my policy?

A 1st for Women policy allows you to cancel without any period of notice, but you can give notice to cancel on a future date. You can also give this notice of cancellation over the telephone. We will confirm the cancellation in writing.

Who can make changes to my policy?

Only you, the policyholder, are allowed to make amendments to your policy.

How do I obtain documentation for my policy?

You can either call us directly on 0861 00 30 01 to request any documentation for your policy or you can simply go online.

Can my age affect my premium? (Premium Queries)

Experience has shown that driving risk reduces with age; older drivers have fewer accidents than young or new drivers. So we charge premiums according to a sliding scale, where an 18-year-old driver will pay the highest premium and the premium loading reduces over the years. If you want to know more about how the premiums scale works call us on 0861 00 30 01.

Why does my premium increase every year even though the value of my car depreciates? (Premium Queries)

You are not only covered for the theft of your vehicle but also for the repair of your vehicle. The cost of repairing your vehicle and parts used increase every year, so your premium unfortunately has to increase in line with these costs. 1st for Women does, however, take the depreciating value of your vehicle into account when reviewing your premium.

Is it true that my marital status can affect my premium? (Premium Queries)

Yes. We have found that married or co-habiting policy holders pose a lower risk than single or divorced people do. This is possibly because single people often go out, are on the road more, and leave their residences empty more often.

If I cannot afford my premium this month, can I pay double next month? (Premium Queries)

Sometimes, not often though you may find it difficult to meet the premium payments on the first working day of the month. In order to assist you if you do find yourself in this position, 1st for Women can set aside a Special Deduction on a date which is more convenient. However, if the premium is not received by this date, you will have no cover for that period for which the premium was due and the policy will lapse. This means that, although the contract is still in force, there is no cover for that period. If we do not receive payment for that month, you unfortunately do not have cover.

What factors are taken into account in determining what premium I pay? (Premium Queries)

At 1st for Women, numerous things are taken into account, for example, the make and model of your motor vehicle, where you live, where your vehicle is kept at night, who the driver of the vehicle is, what purpose your vehicle is used for, and your previous claims history. Because your premium is calculated on these facts, amongst others, it is very important that you are honest when answering these and any other questions. If you are not sure about an answer, rather tell the consultant this and get back to them later. It is important to be honest in your dealings with your insurer or broker, including when you claim. Fraud costs the insurance industry millions every year and in turn costs you, the honest consumer, in increased premiums. Remember fraud ranges from things like claiming for a leather jacket you never had in the first place after a burglary, to claiming for a car that was allegedly hijacked when in fact it was actually sold. Fraud can also lead to a criminal record as most insurers prosecute customers who have committed fraud.

Am I entitled to a pro rata refund if I cancel my policy in the middle of the month? (Premium Queries)

Our policies are payable monthly and you pay for cover a month in advance. We are therefore not able to refund you if you cancel the policy during the course of a month.

Can I pay my premium annually? (Premium Queries)

Unfortunately, we do not accept any annual payments

Why am I charged a penalty fee if my initial deduction was not successful? (Premium Queries)

The penalty fee is charged as 1st for Women had to re-submit your premium payment and incurred additional bank charges.

When do I have my policy annual review? (Premium Queries)

Your policy review will be done every year on the anniversary of when your policy started.

If I have questions about my policy annual review, who can I speak to? (Premium Queries)

You can discuss your review with our customer care department.

What is an excess? (Excess)

An excess is the amount you have to pay in the event of a loss and is the uninsured portion of your loss. The excess serves to prevent customers from submitting minor claims as well as fraudulent claims and assists in keeping premiums down. Let's use motor excess as an example. When you submit a claim you will have to pay an excess, irrelevant of who was to blame for the accident. It is important to read your policy documentation regarding excesses as there may sometimes be additional excesses depending on the facts of your claim, e.g. who was driving your vehicle at the time of the loss. In most cases we offer a flat excess as opposed to an excess that is a percentage of your loss. We will also do our best to try and recover your excess from a guilty third party even though there is no legal obligation for us to do so. This is a service 1st for Women offers to customers at no extra charge.

How can I reduce my excess? (Excess)

You can definitely reduce your excess. The way to do this is by increasing your premium. You can also reduce your premium by increasing your excess.

Why do I have to pay an excess if I was not at fault? (Excess)

An excess is payable whenever a claim is submitted and is the first payment that needs to be made in the event of a claim – regardless of whether you are guilty or not. The administrative cost of a claim is the same, regardless of who is at fault. If you are not at fault, you can claim the amount back from the other party. Unfortunately, this can take a long time, especially if the guilty party isn't insured. Our legal recoveries department will do their utmost to recover your excess, at no extra charge.

Why is an additional excess payable if someone else drives my vehicle? (Excess)

Premiums are based on the details of the most regular driver only. We provide cover for someone else to drive the vehicle occasionally without increasing the premium, but with an additional excess payable in case of a claim.

How do I submit a claim? (Claim)

You can submit a claim by phoning our Claims Department or or you can submit you claim via the 1st for Women App 

What happens to my Cash Back Bonus if I claim? (Claim)

It is important to note that there are claims that will affect your Cash Back Bonus, which will be forfeited and reset to accumulaWill I be able to view myte over the next four consecutive years.

If someone drives my vehicle without my consent and is involved in an accident, will you still pay my claim? (Claim)

Yes, provided that you lay a criminal charge against that person with the police, within 48 hours. You may not withdraw the charge.

Can someone else submit a claim on my behalf? (Claim)

Only the policyholder can submit claims against a policy. This ensures security and confidentiality of all personal information.

How long do I have to submit a claim? (Claim)

You have 30 days from the date that you become aware of the incident to submit a claim.

Electrical Grid Failure exclusion
What is an electrical grid failure?

Firstly, it’s important to note that electrical grid failure is different to load shedding. Simply, load shedding is a controlled interruption of electricity supply to prevent the collapse of the national power grid. Electrical grid failure is the total or partial loss of power – which could result in a total blackout for weeks and affect municipalities and public infrastructure.

Will I still be covered during electrical grid failure?

Electrical grid failure is not an insured peril. If you are claiming for damages that were not a direct result of electrical grid failure, as defined in your insurance policy, you will still have cover.

Will I still have cover for power surges after the electrical grid has been restored?

Yes, you will have cover for damage to the insured property due to a power surge.

Can I claim for deterioration of food during electrical grid failure?

No, deterioration of food due to electrical grid failure is not covered.

Will my car insurance cover me when the traffic light is out due to electrical grid failure, and I have an accident?

Yes, you will still enjoy cover.

Will I still have theft cover during an electrical grid failure if the alarm at the risk address was not functional due to lack of battery support?

Yes, you will still have theft cover during electrical grid failure subject to the terms of your insurance policy. However, please note that it is a requirement of your policy to take all reasonable steps and precautions to prevent or limit any potential losses. You are therefore still required to take the necessary precautions to limit a loss.

What is meant by the exclusion of “consequential loss” caused by electrical grid failure?

This means that if a loss occurs as a consequence of electrical grid failure, like the deterioration of food in a fridge, water disruption resulting in geyser damage for example, a sewage system failure or a gas supply failure, it will not be covered as electrical grid failure is not an insured peril.

Can I buy cover for electrical grid failure?

It is not possible to provide cover for a complete failure of the electrical grid and the associated losses.

Please call me back

Please enter a name
Name contains invalid characters
Please enter a contact number
Please enter a valid contact number
Please enter a valid email address
Please select a reason

Select date and time

Please select a suitable time of the day

Choose a time slot

Thank you for your interest {{Callmeback.Fullname.split(" ")[0]}}