On-the-Run Grocery Shopping List
These days between hectic work schedules, finding time for a social life, and all the other admin that eats into your day, grocery shopping can sometimes be a last priority.
For those that need a little help, here’s a list of (very) basic ingredients that you can stockpile your cupboards with.
In the Cupboard
- Jarred sauces (such as tomato paste)
- Dried pasta
- White rice
- Low-sodium chicken/vegetable stock
- Long-life milk (for emergencies)
- Canned beans (such as chickpeas, cannellinis, kidneys)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Dried herbs and spices
In the Fridge
- Fresh herbs
- Fruit (just one type, or else it’ll go off before you can enjoy it – like apples)
- Milk (fresh)
- Cheeses (such as cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella)
- Condiments (such as Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and soy sauce)
- Jams (such as strawberry, raspberry, and apricot)
- Salad greens
In the Freezer
- Bacon (divide into individual servings)
- Seed loaf
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (try leaving some whole, cutting some into strips, and cubing others for easy use.)
- Frozen fish pieces (fabulously convenient)
- Mince (divided into 200g portions) – you can always substitute this for yummy tofu blocks.
- Frozen vegetables (such as spinach, broccoli florets, peas, and mixed vegetables)
Two great things about this type of list are that firstly, it gives the task of grocery shopping a purpose. Secondly, it’s versatile. You can also remove the items that you would never eat/use, like the meat products if you’re a vegetarian. Play around with it and eventually you’ll know what works for you!
Would you add or take away anything from this list?