Keep your home safe when you’re not in it…
Holidays are coming up and unfortunately with them comes a spike in opportunistic crime – break-ins and burglaries increase during this time, when you’re not around to keep an eye on your home. So if you’re going away – go sensibly, with these tips to keep your home safe:
1. Check your alarm and beams are working before you go. Get your system serviced if you haven’t for a while.
2. Don’t tell the world you’re going by announcing it on social media.
3. Do tell your security company – and make sure they have a set of keys (or know who has one) in order to gain entry if something goes wrong.
4. Don’t pack up your car in full view of the street.
5. Install a timer to switch your lights on and off.
6. If you have a post-box at your gate, organise for a friend or neighbour to stop by and collect your mail – mail that’s built up is a sure sign homeowners are away.
7. Think about employing a house-sitter, any kind of occupant is a deterrent.
8. You might think drawn curtains are more secure, but they’re also a giveaway to these who might be checking your house – leave some open if you can, because the more normal your home looks the better.
9. Disconnect any non-essential electronics – and unplug your remote garage door (makes it much harder for thieves to gain entry!)
10. Just in case, put irreplaceable items or important documents in a safety deposit box – it’s always better to be safe than sorry!
And of course, it goes without saying that you need Home Contents cover for absolute peace of mind while you’re away – find out more about 1st for Women’s Home Contents cover here – before you go on holiday!